LeBlog--The Blog about life…writing, raising kids, chasing dogs, handling life and all its bit parts.

June 11, 2013

 

What I did on my Summer Vacation

Did you ever have to write an essay in school about your summer vacation? Worse, did you ever have nothing extraordinary to share? Of course, I have fond memories of family vacations, riding in a station wagon to Arkansas, an RV to Washington D.C., and a caravan of two Winnebagos to Colorado (which was my favorite!). I remember one vacation when we drove to the coast during Spring Break. We were driving an RV and hauling a boat. I don't know why this happened but apparently we ran out of gas and my dad had to siphon gas out of the boat and put it in the RV. He simply used a tube and sucked on it. He turned a little green and the stubble of his beard turned white. LOL! I have such fond memories of finding sand dollars on the beach and traipsing through majestic pines. But you never knew what crazy things might happen.

Which is true of my own family's vacations. When we went to the Big Island of Hawaii a few years ago.



The last morning as we were packing our suitcases and about to head to the airport, the island experienced an earthquake. Airports were shut down. Power was off on the main island. And we were stuck. How horrible, right? But oh, I remember swimming with the turtles and the taste of fresh pineapple. Bliss.

Then there was our trip to London a couple of years ago. London is one of my favorite places in the world! I've been blessed to go three times now (and hope to go again!).



We were in the Victoria and Albert Museum, and my dear daughter was called down because she got too close to a statue. She simply wanted to see what the 'girl in marble' was reading on her scroll. Thankfully, we were then shown several interesting bits and pieces. While this lovely man with a delightful British accent explained some amazing history to us, I saw a girl that looked like someone we knew. I whispered to my daughter, "That looks like…" And when the girl heard her name, she turned around. It was our friend! We both happened to be in the same gallery in the same museum so far away from our homes at the same time. What a small world! The funny part was that I then tried to explain to the museum guy that the young teens knew each other and had been orphans together. I'm sure he thought that was odd. What I really meant was that they were in the production of Annie together. LOL!

Through writing, I've been blessed to take my kids several places on research trips or to writing conferences. My daughter and I went to New York together, and were able to see a couple of Broadway shows.



We had a marvelous time eating barbecue throughout Memphis when I researched Elvis Takes a Back Seat.



When we visited Marfa, Texas for Once in a Blue Moon, we arrived at the same time as the annual Marfa Lights Festival and my kids got to ride the 'bull' on the town square.



In Scotland, we chased Princess Anne through Edinburgh. Not really. But we kept running into her.



I can't seem to stop remembering now that I have gotten started down this happy trail. So many happy times. So many sweet memories. So many adventures. What stories will I have to tell when we get back from Paris? Au revoir! If you're my 'friend' on Facebook then you know some of the craziness that happened in France, but I'll share here soon.



By the way, this picture was taken by my fabulous travel agent, Caron Guillo.


Leave a comment about your favorite place to travel, and I'll draw a winner next Monday (June 17th)! The winner will receive one of my books mentioned in this post!

Labels: , , , , , , ,




Comments:
I had been seeing all of your posts while you were in Paris. Wow! You had quite an adventure, didn't you? Glad you guys made it back safely.
We haven't really been big travelers. If we do travel, it woulc be to Gatlinburg, TN.
My dream is to visit the British Isles. Especially, Northern Ireland, where my grandmother still has a brother and sister living there. Would love to meet them one day.
campbellamyd at gmail dot com
 
My dream one day is to visit several Amish towns or communities. I have been facinated by them.
As a childhood dream I have always wanted to go to the home of
Laura Ingalls Wilder.

Cheryl B

CherylB1987@hotmail.com
 
Hi, Amy C! Thanks for the prayers and concerns while we were away. So good to be home! I love the British Isles too! I haven't made it Ireland yet, but someday...! I love visiting Tennessee too. I'm happy to get to go through Memphis briefly later this summer. ;)

Hi, Cheryl! Oh I love visiting the homes of writers and Laura Ingalls Wilder would be a great one to visit! I really enjoyed visiting Margaret Mitchell's in Atlanta a few summers ago. Victor Hugo's in Paris was a highlight! Last year while in Baltimore, my son and located Edgar Allan Poe's. Not the best part of town, and unfortunately it was under renovation but I was still happy to find it.

Because you two posted comments, I'd be happy to give each of you a book. Choose one of the books mentioned in the post, email me privately with your address, and I will get it in the mail! Thanks so much! leanna (at) leannaellis (dot) com
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

Archives

June 2007   July 2007   August 2007   September 2007   October 2007   November 2007   December 2007   January 2008   February 2008   March 2008   April 2008   May 2008   June 2008   July 2008   August 2008   September 2008   October 2008   November 2008   December 2008   January 2009   February 2009   March 2009   April 2009   May 2009   June 2009   July 2009   August 2009   September 2009   October 2009   November 2009   December 2009   January 2010   February 2010   March 2010   April 2010   May 2010   June 2010   July 2010   August 2010   September 2010   October 2010   November 2010   February 2011   March 2011   April 2011   May 2011   June 2011   July 2011   August 2011   September 2011   October 2011   November 2011   December 2011   January 2012   February 2012   May 2012   July 2012   August 2012   September 2012   October 2012   November 2012   December 2012   February 2013   March 2013   May 2013   June 2013   July 2013   August 2013   February 2014   March 2014   April 2014   May 2014   June 2014  

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]