LeBlog--The Blog about life…writing, raising kids, chasing dogs, handling life and all its bit parts.

August 1, 2011

 

Got a dream? Part 5

I hope you’ve enjoyed so far our discussions of pursuing dreams. Let’s review 1-4 first.

What does it take to pursue your dream?

1. Decision.
2. Commitment.
3. Discipline.
4. Sacrifice.

But it takes one more thing—guts. It takes guts to take a risk. I mean, really, who would have ever thought I could publish a book? Much less leave a job to pursue some wild and crazy dream. It would have been easier to stuff that dream and stay in that dusty classroom. But I took a risk. And believe me, people laughed. Which hurt. There were bumps and ruts and hairpin curves along the way. It wasn’t a ski lift ride to the top I can assure you. Heck, I’m not at the top yet. Maybe I won’t ever be. But I love writing. I love pursuing my dream.

I remember when my son first started fencing. He was five and when I'd asked what he wanted to do--soccer, basketball, baseball--he'd answered with fencing. So first I had to find a fencing club. After his very first lesson, he climbed into the car all hot and sweaty and with a great big grin said, "I'm living my dream!"

My daughter's experience with singing was not quite the same. She LOVED to sing and she sang everywhere. But by the time she was six or seven she was starting to get shy and wouldn't sing in front of others. That would be okay except my daughter had a pretty good voice. And she loved to perform. So when she was eight, I forced her (mean mommy that I am) to take singing lessons. She cried every week, saying, "I don't want to do the recital." At first I'd say, "Well, it's seven months away." But then I finally said, "We'll get through the recital and then you can quit if you want." Well, of course, my performing daughter LOVED it. And each year brought more and more confidence until she is really amazing. She makes it look easy now but it wasn't. It took guts for her to go to voice lessons each week. It took real courage for her to get up on that first stage and sing. I'm so proud of her for even trying. And it takes real courage for my son to put on his fencing equipment and face the blade of another fencer. And yes, it's a dangerous sport.

There are ups and downs along the way. I’ve achieved a few things and I’ve failed at others. That’s life. My son has won some tournaments and lost some. My daughter has gotten some parts and not others. But we keep trying. It all goes back to that first risk when I decided to be a writer, when they decided to fence and sing.

So are you gutsy or wimpy?

Labels: , , , , , , ,




Comments:
I think I am wimpy but I am trying to get gutsy. I really want to change careers but I don't know what to?(I am currently an accountant.) I am single so I don't have a second income to rely on as I change careers. I keep praying and keep my eyes open to where I could possible move to.
Thanks for your post.
Wendy
wsmarple/at/gmail/dot/com
 
Hi, Wendy! Boy I know that feeling so well…ooching up close to the edge, peeking over, your pulse quickening, your heart racing all before you take that big jump. But let me tell you, being single is a GREAT time to take the leap into a new career. You have no one depending on your time or income. You might not have to let go of your current job or career before you take the plunge. I needed to do that emotionally and physically to make it happen. There are all sorts of ways to make it happen: get a roommate to cut expenses, get a part time job (I did temp work and then was a receptionist and also substitute taught), move back home ( I did for about a year). And before I made the actual leap, I kept trying things. I remember I had some friends who were flight attendants, so I applied. Didn't even get an interview. If you have an interest in an area, then maybe take an evening class and get your feet wet to see how you like it and if it fuels your interest. Sounds like you're doing the right thing though: keep praying and keep your eyes open for God to open doors!

Blessings,

Leanna
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

Archives

June 2007   July 2007   August 2007   September 2007   October 2007   November 2007   December 2007   January 2008   February 2008   March 2008   April 2008   May 2008   June 2008   July 2008   August 2008   September 2008   October 2008   November 2008   December 2008   January 2009   February 2009   March 2009   April 2009   May 2009   June 2009   July 2009   August 2009   September 2009   October 2009   November 2009   December 2009   January 2010   February 2010   March 2010   April 2010   May 2010   June 2010   July 2010   August 2010   September 2010   October 2010   November 2010   February 2011   March 2011   April 2011   May 2011   June 2011   July 2011   August 2011   September 2011   October 2011   November 2011   December 2011   January 2012   February 2012   May 2012   July 2012   August 2012   September 2012   October 2012   November 2012   December 2012   February 2013   March 2013   May 2013   June 2013   July 2013   August 2013   February 2014   March 2014   April 2014   May 2014   June 2014  

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]