LeBlog--The Blog about life…writing, raising kids, chasing dogs, handling life and all its bit parts.

July 25, 2011

 

What it takes to go for your Dreams

Do you dream of doing something spectacular, something important, something beyond the normal nine-to-five job? Maybe, like me, you dream of writing a book. Maybe you dream of dancing, or painting, or sailing around the world. Maybe you dream of making an impact by helping the homeless or orphans. Or maybe you dream of learning a foreign language, like French. Or maybe you simply dream of losing weight. Everybody dreams of something, even if it only seems like a pie-in-the-sky kind of dream. Whatever your dream is, I believe you can and should reach for your dreams.
Twenty years ago, I decided to quit teaching and become a writer. Twenty years! I can’t believe this is the anniversary year of that pinnacle decision. It changed my life in so many ways. So after pursuing my dream for 20 years, and publishing many books, I hope I have a little bit of knowledge from the hard knocks I’ve suffered and the mountains I’ve managed to climb to offer you hope and encouragement on your journey, whether that’s writing or climbing Mt. Everest.
One thing I’ve learned: sitting around and dreaming will not put you on the path to making that dream a reality. You have to get up, you have to take tiny steps forward in chasing down that dream.
The first year I taught school, there was a teacher two doors down from my classroom. She’d been teaching thirty years. The same grade. The same classroom. Now, don’t get me wrong. Teaching is a noble profession. I admire teachers. I was one. But teaching was not my dream. For some, that is their dream and I honor that. The fact was: I didn’t know then what my dream was. And maybe you don’t either. But maybe you simply feel like: what if there’s more…what if I’m missing out on something. That’s how I felt when I thought of myself in the same classroom for thirty years. One person’s dream can also be another person’s nightmare. So teaching the same grade for thirty years scared me more than the risk of trying to find what my dream might be. So during my five years of teaching, I tried to figure out what my dream might be.
So if you don’t know what your dream is, fine. Simply commit to finding out what your dream is so you can pursue it. If you do know what your dream is, then decide today that you’re going to go for it. Because that’s the first step in pursuing your dream: making a decision.
Over the next few days, I’m going to tell you the five things it takes to pursue your dream. So today, the number one thing you need to do is: make a decision. No one can decide for you. No one can push you into it. That’s why you see kids rebelling when their parent decides they should be a football player (or cheerleader or sorority member) like the parent was. Sometimes parents push their kids into their own professions, like being a doctor or dentist or even a writer. But that desire has to come from within you. It can’t be external any more than a doctor saying, “you need to stop smoking or eating fried foods.” So the patient might attempt to stop smoking or to eat healthy but until that desire throbs within their own heart it won’t work. You simply have to decide you’re going to pursue your dream.
Twenty years ago, I made a decision to become a writer. I didn’t know anything about writing. I didn’t know anything about the business. I didn’t know anyone IN the business. I simply had a dream. And I made a decision. Are you ready to make that decision?
If you don’t know, it’s okay you can just say you don’t know but you’re going to find out. Resolve to find out. Maybe we’ll discover it together. Or if you know your dream, then decide today before it’s too late to pursue that dream. So what’s your dream?



Contest: I’m going to be giving away a book at the end of the week. To enter, just post a comment on my blog here. You can enter as many times as you would like.

Labels: , , , , , ,




Comments:
I would love to get back to pre-baby weight.

Suzy
 
I hear ya on that one, Suzy! Would love to do that myself! I actually started my diet today and am trying to inspire myself to stick with it. Hope you will find some benefits from my blog this week.
 
Great post, Le! Brings back memories.
 
Doesn't it, Dorothy! For those of you who don't know this, Dorothy and I met twenty years ago at the first writers class I attended. We ended up sitting next to each other and hit it off because she was an ex-teacher and administrator and I was an ex-teacher too. How much we had to learn! But we've been friends ever since and have gone through all the ups and downs of this business together. Couldn't have done it without Dorothy's support, encouragement, and friendship.
 
I too want to be a writer! Thanks for this encouragement. I'm eager to read what else it takes.

Patti
 
I dream of seeing my niece that I haven't seen in 45 years. Her father(my brother) died when she was two years old and her mother moved to Hawaii, then Arizona and now my niece lives in Colorado and I live in North Carolina. We do keep in touch through mail, email and phone.
 
That's a great dream, rbooth43! Set a goal, make a plan, and go for it! Last year, I was sitting in the Oahu airport and I started talking to a woman next to me. She and her husband had come to Hawaii from Arkansas. She was in her 60s, I'm guessing, maybe 70s. Anyway, she and her sister had been separated b/c of a divorce VERY early in her life. She was told her sister had died. But her sister who grew up in Australia knew the truth. And she started searching for her sister and found her. They had met up in Hawaii, which was about half way for each. They hadn't seen each other in over 60 years. What an amazing story! And that, I hope will tell you that anything is possible.

Blessings,

Leanna
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

Archives

June 2007   July 2007   August 2007   September 2007   October 2007   November 2007   December 2007   January 2008   February 2008   March 2008   April 2008   May 2008   June 2008   July 2008   August 2008   September 2008   October 2008   November 2008   December 2008   January 2009   February 2009   March 2009   April 2009   May 2009   June 2009   July 2009   August 2009   September 2009   October 2009   November 2009   December 2009   January 2010   February 2010   March 2010   April 2010   May 2010   June 2010   July 2010   August 2010   September 2010   October 2010   November 2010   February 2011   March 2011   April 2011   May 2011   June 2011   July 2011   August 2011   September 2011   October 2011   November 2011   December 2011   January 2012   February 2012   May 2012   July 2012   August 2012   September 2012   October 2012   November 2012   December 2012   February 2013   March 2013   May 2013   June 2013   July 2013   August 2013   February 2014   March 2014   April 2014   May 2014   June 2014  

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]