LeBlog--The Blog about life…writing, raising kids, chasing dogs, handling life and all its bit parts.

April 18, 2010

 

New book contract!

It's true, I have accepted a contract for an Amish/vampire book. It's okay to laugh. Go ahead. Everyone usually does at first. You might be wondering how those two things go together very well…in my mind anything is possible. Actually, with God, all things are possible. You may have heard jokes about this type of book, but this is no joke and it's actually a more serious endeavor, without my usual humor. It's a serious book and I'm very excited about it. Here's the blurb:

Plain Fear Series:

1st book: Forsaken

Hannah Schmidt, a young Amish woman mourning the mysterious 'death' of her beloved Jacob, now a vampire, must choose between two brothers, between good and evil, between a lasting love and the damnation of her soul.

I'm not sure of the publication date, hopefully sometime in 2011.

I wanted to share with y'all a little about the conception of this book. Of course, I've heard for a long time the joke about combining these two very different genres, Amish fiction and vampire fiction, which both have been very popular. Well, it must have lodged somewhere in my brain because one day I realized this pairing could be an interesting revisit to the ever popular story and musical, The Phantom of the Opera. The story idea came to me about two years ago. I noodled around on it and played with it. I prayed a lot about it. A few Christian authors encouraged me. Then last year at the American Christian Fiction Writers conference, after I'd already written a proposal for it but had done nothing with it, not even tell my agent about it, I heard editors actually say they were interested in this kind of a novel. I was blown away. So not having planned to pitch that story idea, I made an appointment with an editor. Then I panicked. What was I going to say? So with the help of Rachel Hauck, I told her the story idea, and she helped me hone it down to its essence: a love triangle, the story of good versus evil, brother versus brother. Thanks, Rachel! Then I figured I better tell my agent. I was scared my agent would laugh me off the planet. But she didn't. She laughed but in a good way! She loved it. When I sent her my proposal after the conference, she again loved it.

With much prayer on her part and on mine, with my prayer partners praying as well as other writer friends, we began to submit this story. And I'm very delighted to say that Sourcebooks is going to publish this book. I've already had a nice long conversation with Peter, my new editor, and I'm very excited about beginning to write this book. Of course, I still have other obligations with B&H Publishing, and I pray that partnership continues and grows. I have a book coming out with them, FACELIFT, in October 2010, and then another book in Sept. 2011.

But I wanted y'all to hear this news from me first. And most importantly, I wanted you to know that this project has been bathed in prayer and will continue to be. I hope you will join me in praying for this project as I write it and hopefully as it reaches a wide audience, especially the audience outside of the Christian market. I believe it can be a powerful story that reveals the struggle everyone faces with the attraction of evil (because evil at first is attractive and alluring), and pray that God guides me as I write it.

Blessings,

Leanna



Comments:
That is so funny. We joked about this not long ago. I can't remember who it was or how it even got started, but we were joking about Amish vampires. LOL. Who knew!! LOL. I think it's awesome you have a new contract, and I look forward to reading it!

Blessings
Michelle V
 
Oh, Leanna,

I love the name of the series. Does this mean that you will be writing more than one book for Sourcebooks?

I have no doubt this novel will be as incredible and insightful as all of your others.

Congratulations!

Shelley
 
Still giddy with excitement!!!!!!
 
Michelle, Thanks so much! I hope you will enjoy it when it's released! I'm anxious to get writing on it!
 
Hey, Shelley! Thanks so much! And yes, the plan is for more than one book. ;)
 
Thanks, Jerri! Me too!
 
Congratulations, Leanna! Cn't wait to read it!
 
This is COOL, Leanna!!! Love ya--Julie
 
FANTASTIC, Leanna!! So excited and happy for you!

hugs,
Tess
 
Wow!!! What an intriguing idea for a story! And I love Phantom of the Opera. :) May everything go well with this book and may God use it to bless others and share His love.

~Amber

www.seasonsofhumility.blogspot.com
 
>>... and hopefully as it reaches a wide audience, especially the audience outside of the Christian market. <<

Good for you, Leanna! I would like to see more books that can do just that. I love that you understand why people are amused when you say an Amish vampire book :-)
 
Thanks, Colleen! Appreciate that!
 
Thanks so much, Julie! Love ya too, girlfriend! Kick up some sand for me out there!
 
Thanks, Tess! Just love the enthusiasm this has generated! Yea God!
 
Thank you, Amber. I am praying similar prayers for this book. Appreciate it!
 
My friend, who is a hugely published author, just gfinished an Amish vampire book and submitted to her agent. This may be the new trend. I know if she hears about your contract she will kick herself! She thought she had the new idea!
 
It's an interesting concept. I'm wondering how the Amish feel about it.
 
Hi, Pam. Thanks for stopping by! I would imagine the Amish feel the same way about evil. Blessings, Leanna
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

Archives

June 2007   July 2007   August 2007   September 2007   October 2007   November 2007   December 2007   January 2008   February 2008   March 2008   April 2008   May 2008   June 2008   July 2008   August 2008   September 2008   October 2008   November 2008   December 2008   January 2009   February 2009   March 2009   April 2009   May 2009   June 2009   July 2009   August 2009   September 2009   October 2009   November 2009   December 2009   January 2010   February 2010   March 2010   April 2010   May 2010   June 2010   July 2010   August 2010   September 2010   October 2010   November 2010   February 2011   March 2011   April 2011   May 2011   June 2011   July 2011   August 2011   September 2011   October 2011   November 2011   December 2011   January 2012   February 2012   May 2012   July 2012   August 2012   September 2012   October 2012   November 2012   December 2012   February 2013   March 2013   May 2013   June 2013   July 2013   August 2013   February 2014   March 2014   April 2014   May 2014   June 2014  

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]